THe Toker's Search

Custom Search

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Back in Civilization
It's been over a month since I've been on the boards... but i've been on a unique adventure exploring the human past and the human psyche....

what happens when you comfine a dozen or so human beings to a farmers field in southwestern Oxfordshire to brave the english summer with tents and a rickety kitchen just to dig up some old roman and iron age structures?
their only outlets from this cycle is the trips to the pub and occational visits to Tesco....

you end up with far too much drinking and debauchery with many frayed nerves and brain cells... you end up half crazy by the end of it.

and that was my past month! wee! I can't remember... well much of anything past 9pm...


although I do remember a fateful night filled with cider, beer, gin, and copious amounts of wine..... i have a hazy memory of screaming obscenities at someone's inordinately large tent....

this night started out as a group meal I had cooked for the campsite... homemade spaghetti and meatballs from scratch...
I had spent the day doing my normal archaeological duties... a bit of digging here, a bit of soil flotation there.... some photos and my day was up.... As I'm driving the tractor back to the campsite, with the other diggers bouncing precariously on the back trailer, I could feel the cool breeze and see the changing clouds forming overhead. They would swirl by at amazing speeds... we bumbled along through the rolling fields of wheat... and what should appear over the horizon.....but a nuclear power plant...

good ol' england eh?

we slowly pull into the campsite and I immediately banish everyone from the kitchen save my soux chef... and we begin the mad rush of cooking for 16 people.... I heated up the sauce I had made from the night before and starting mixing up the ground beef... we ended up with 62 meatballs... more than enough for everyone

After two hours and quite a bit of wine and spirits imbibed... we brought forth the masterpiece of fresh pasta with tomato sauce and meatballs with garlic bread and tons of red and white wine.... It was an instant success! the table was silent... which is always a good sing for the chef... everyone's too busy eating to speak!

well we kept eating and drinking... i swear I polished off another bottle of wine... after some semi-embarassing dance moves, someone cleverly pointed out the the pub closed in 20 mintues...

not wanting to end the night... we headed over to the pub.... where i proceeded to play a VERY drunken game of pool with my supervisor... and nearly kill one of the locals sitting at the bar....


all in all was a good night....

then waking up the next morning having to mattock back half a meter of rocky subsoil... ahh what a wonderful life us archaeologists live...


but that was pretty much the whole 4 weeks... lots of craziness filled with a bit of archaeology... here and there...

but now i'm forever thankful to be back in the real world with indoor plumbing, modern conveniences like 4 walls and a roof.... and flush toilets are my best friends!



peace,
hippy

No comments:

Post a Comment