THe Toker's Search

Custom Search

Monday, August 31, 2009

it's been a week since my loved one has made it over from the States and oh what a week it's been!


The day I heard that she had been accepted to the same University i was, I started counting down until she came to live with me again. I spent half a month getting the apartment ready for her arrival
(mind you I had moved into my new apartment before heading off to england the night before my flight... I literally finished moving everything at midnight on monday... and left tuesday at 7AM.... so suffice it to say the place looked pretty bad)

I bought IKEA chairs and tables, pictures, kitchen gear, and all those things necessary for an apartment..

Finally she got here last week.... and of course while the place was a vast improvement over before... it wasn't what she called "woman clean" I guess spending half a year living as a bachelor took it's toll... no worries though I was over the moon to have her here with me...

She's not really a smoker... has it on rare occations... but she's quite alright with my partaking ...

We decided to head on into Amsterdam on Sunday for the Uitmarkt. Apparently the start of the Amsterdam cultural season. Throughout the city there were booths everywhere advertising the hundreds of plays and theatrical art projects in the upcomming year. We came in by train and arrived at 2 walking out to a sunny, albeit windy day. The city was packed to the brim and we speedily avoided the crowds of tourists and the RLD....

zipping down the Zeedijk we walk through China town just chatting away. As we approach the Nieuwmarkt we see massive structures up in the square. We approach and start to hear a distinctly dutch tune. On stage was a band in traditional clothing, playing their instruments and jamming away! It's great to see these kinds of cultural festivals in Amsterdam. As much as I enjoy the smoking culture, and the normal touristy bits, it's good to see how the locals celebrate their own culture. It's only after living here for half a year that I've come tp appreciate these things... We zip down to the east following a neverending line of stands. Each with a different theatre company/ performance arts group advertising their productions... it was great!

The only real problem was that everything was in Dutch... Sadly our language skills are seriously lacking... but oh well... we'll pick it up eventually

After walking around the waterlooplein area I posed a request for a coffeeshop stop. The Mrs. was fine with it and we popped into Old Amsterdam...

Walked up to the bar to see Marco smiling back. I asked if he had any White cheese in at the moment seeing as it's my absolute favorite smoke so far....

But alas it wasn't to be... He said he was out and wouldn't have any more for about 3 weeks.... perhaps i'll plan an impromptu bike ride up one weekend to stock up of course

He did have a new product called New Cheese. Having never tried the UK strain of cheese, my experience is limited to what I can get in the Dam. I've had the Big buddha cheese and HGF's cheese (which is my favorite by the way)... so i thought what the hey? give it a go...

The buds were quite tightly packed and there weren't many crystals... I smelled and there was that distinct cheese flavor there.. It was a bit more sour smelling than HGF... and not as strong... I bought a gram and skinned up a spliff. It definitely had the heavy body high of a cheese, It was a nice smooth smoke as well... I didn't cough it down... and I was quite content for the rest of the afternoon...

After a bit more wandering through a book market (again most were in Dutch... but a few stands had English books and that was cool) We found a ferry giving rides to different events... again for free! So we boarded the last ferry of the day and bombed around the canals... all the while listening to Accordian music on the boat.... It was a great day sucking in dutchie culture!

On the way back to the station I stopped by at HGF to pick up a little bit more bud... Grabbed myself a gram of the Silver pearl, and headed back on the train and back home.

Overall a very nice day trip up to the Dam..... Now and again these small days remind me why I moved to this country....


peace,
hippy

No comments:

Post a Comment