THe Toker's Search

Custom Search

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I had decided on Friday that instead of going to the lab and staring through a microscope all day, I would take long bike ride to Den Haag. The weather was simply gorgeous out and I figured since my advisor was in the Caribbean for a week... I might as well enjoy his absence as much as he was..

I chose Den Haag because its relatively close to me... Only about 17km away. I have previously rode up to Amsterdam a few times by bike... but at 45km, I'm hard pressed to make the same ride back.... especially since I'm quite a bit more stoned when leaving than when I arrive... I usually end up buying a one way train ticket for me and the bike, which is unfortunately a bit expensive. Nearly 10 Euro for me and the bike...

Again I plug in the Ipod, pop on a dopecast podcast for entertainment, and take off...The ride itself took about an hour and a half and was literally one straight line. I followed alongside the A44 which turned into the N44... I probably could have taken a more scenic route, but I didn't know the way yet.

Slowly the suburbs crept up on me until i was next to the train station in Den Haag! What a different city from Amsterdam and even Leiden. Gone are the narrow bumpy streets that zig zag in all directions with crooked buildings of all shapes and angles sticking out of walls...
The city is much more orderly and defined. With immense skyscrapers and government buildings centered around the Den Haag Centraal train station. Moving away from the government buildings you see older houses and buildings. It all still has a dutch feel to it, brick houses and back streets, canals flowing down streets and trams ringing their bells. The Trams here seem like they're from another age, but still run with the dutch efficiency i've come to love... Always on time...

I roamed the streets and the shopping center on my bike, Inadvertently comming upon a 4 lane road full of cars... Den Haag has much more space and wider roads... therefore many more cars.... a bit difficult for the bike rider but I was used to it from Riding by bike back in the states... where theres ALWAYS cars...

stopped at a Couple of Coffeeshops to sample the local ware... Firstly at Meneer Janssen and bought some of their special jetlag 12 euro for 2 grams.... I did a review of the shop in the forum section as well... lovely smoke...
I then rolled over to Cafe Cremers and bought a gram of their Super 88 (8.80 per gram) and a white widow pre-rolled for the ride home.

I slowly meandered through the parks and started to make my way home. I had to meet my buddy jay cause we were going to get some dinner before heading out that evening...

I cycled through the immense park in Den Haag called Haagsche Bos.
It's a very large wooded park area and is great to wander through. It has walking trails and bike trails throughout it. It's only the second place in the Netherlands I've been that's felt like "real" wilderness. (i quote because the park was created, but has a very wild feel to it... I don't think they do gardening work in the back parts...)

After a lovely ride through the park with my spliff I headed back home. Met up with jay and we headed over to a great bar/squat called the Leftist Church. There we had a really fun jam session with all kinds of musical instruments. I even broke out the ol' harmonica for a few jams. a great
friday.

peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment